Whispering Hills Apartments
345 Hawthorne Lane, Barnegat, NJ 08005
Completed in 2013, Whispering Hills Apartments is a 52 unit income-qualified apartment community located in Barnegat, New Jersey. The development consists of seven 2-story buildings that feature a mix of one, two, and three bedroom units. Residents will enjoy easy access to public transportation, Ocean County’s rail trail, Barnegat Bay, restaurants, schools, and many onsite amenities.
Whispering Hills Apartments participated in both Energy Star® and LEED (Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design) for Homes. Energy Star is a joint program of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the U.S. Department of Energy. Energy Star Certification verifies the use of energy efficient products and energy saving practices. LEED for Homes is a nationally-accepted green home certification system that provides guidance and verification that homes are designed and built to be energy & resource efficient and healthy for its occupants. LEED can be applied to single family and multifamily homes and is intended for both market-rate and affordable housing.
Whispering Hills Apartments is Energy Star® Certified and LEED Gold Certified. For more information on the sustainable aspects of this community, please visit our Go Green tab above.
The apartments at Whispering Hills are Energy Star® and LEED Gold Certified. Certification under those programs ensures cleaner, healthier and more energy & resource efficient living spaces. Some highlights of Energy Star and LEED for Homes listed below:
- High efficient insulation
- High performance windows
- Air-tight construction and ducts
- Energy Star efficient heating and cooling equipment
- Third-Party verification
LEED for Homes
- Innovation & Design: Special design methods that contribute to the sustainability of a home
- Location & Linkages: Proximity to transportation, shopping, recreational spaces, etc.
- Sustainable Sites: Project density, types of landscaping, stormwater management.
- Water Efficiency: Use of indoor and outdoor water efficiency practices (i.e. low flow fixtures or rainwater reuse for irrigation)
- Energy & Atmosphere: Emphasizes energy efficiency within the building envelope (i.e. performance of heating/cooling systems, lighting, air filtration, etc.)
- Materials & Resources: Efficient selection and use of environmentally preferable materials, waste minimization, and recycling.
- Indoor Environmental Quality: Improvement of indoor air quality by reducing the creation of and exposure to pollutants
- Awareness & Education: Training managers and residents on the operations, maintenance, and special features of a LEED home.